Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Raw Shrimp, Fried Shrimp, Grilled Shrimp...

I took a ride up to McClellanville, SC, yesterday to locate some contacts for a project I'm working on, and did not leave without shrimp.

I stopped in at one of the two restaurants in town, T.W. Graham & Company Seafood, where I had my way with a pretty standard (though very tasty) fried shrimp sandwich and what was, by far, the best tartar sauce I've ever slathered on bread. For me, tartar sauce is a necessary component of seafood sandwiches, though I can't say the gloppy mayonnaise-y texture is particularly memorable. I hate a dry sandwich and find it somewhat blasphemous to accessorize seafood with plain mayo. In the case of T.W. Graham, theirs is a house-made recipe of carrot, onion, dill pickle, and minimal mayo -- literally just enough to hold it together. It's perfect. (810 Pinckney Street, McClellanville)

The pound of shrimp I brought home from the dock went on the grill first, then in a pan with pasta, olive oil, basil, garlic, and the Johns Island grape tomatoes left over from an orzo salad made earlier in the week. Oh, summer, you and your wonderful flavors make me wanna slap my Nana -- if I thought she wouldn't smack me back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How am I supposed to succeed in my self imposed diet after reading this post? I know where I'm stopping the next time I have a client meeting in Georgetown. :)

Post a Comment